When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair expert to check your system post-storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your prep worked.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time may not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets tossed around during threatening weather. Just be sure you have turned the system fully off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get tossed about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to return outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Fort Myers, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for severe weather in Fort Myers or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.