Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air inside your home nice and cool, which means that any time you allow heat back into the home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than need be. While the air conditioner is your main source for cooler air, there are a number of things you can do, on top of air conditioner service, to help keep the Fort Myers heat out and help your air conditioner survive through the remaining days of summer.
Here are some tips from Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to help keep hot air out of your home:
- Block out the sun. A great deal of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by utilizing solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the minimum, install blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The rooms in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Inspect your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can perform a complete comfort performance assessment for you to identify leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Inspect your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that looks to be torn or revealing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven generate a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that may generate heat for evenings after the temperature outside goes down. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and let those appliances rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help shield the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also offer shade and deflect some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The greatest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After finding out about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the best option may simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips listed above, it might mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is working as it should be and that you are getting top efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than you have to. Give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Fort Myers or set up an appointment online to have a pro check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s operating correctly.