Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect

There are lots of potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that can come from such items as household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none are as dangerous as carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is scary and may even be a matter of life and death, so it’s not something to joke about. What is extremely concerning is that it is hard to detect because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can filtrate its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how big the leak is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can lead to death very quickly, or the toxic gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

You absolutely cannot risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some recommended action items to protect yourself and your family:

  1. If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Fort Myers to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect.
  2. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, check or replace the batteries regularly. Testing should be done every three months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
  3. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can be certain to receive alerts if there is any sign of carbon monoxide. Take the necessary steps and call Service Experts in Fort Myers at 239-908-6991 to learn more.